Saturday, 14 April 2007

The Auction

Remember the cucumber glass? Today my friend Robert and I went to the auction, he had previously seen a Ransomes lawn mower he thought he would like and made a successful bid for it. We then had to hang about for a couple of hours until my lot number came up.
The excitement was increasing as the lots got nearer and then, lot No 5889 was next.
Am I going to be elated or disappointed? The auctioneer invited bids starting at the low end of the estimated value stating there was quite a bit of interest in this lot. Fortunately there was more than one person wanted it. Tension built up between someone in the room and a telephone bidder as the bids were going up £20 a time, both desparately wanted it until the man in the room finally gave in when it reached three times the estimated price.
We both came away from the sale with an air of satisfaction on the day's proceedings, Robert got what he wanted and I got more than I expected.
Must go and search out some more unwanted clutter now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can we have a webcam with the money? Well done George, search out some more stuff to sell.